Date and Walnut Cookies
Recipe by Catherine Neville
For the Dough
½ cup butter
½ cup Date Lady Date Sugar
2 cup flour
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground cardamom
⅛ tsp salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
For the Date Jam Filling
7 oz Date Lady Organic Dates - chopped
⅛ cup Date Lady Date Sugar
½ tsp ground cardamon
½ tsp ground fennel
½ Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup walnuts - chopped
3 Tbsp water - plus more if needed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and Date Lady Date Sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and blend to incorporate. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, thoroughly whisk flour, cumin, cardamon, salt and baking soda and then gradually beat dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, a little at a time, until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. While the dough is chilling, make the filling.
6. Simmer all of the filling ingredients, minus the water, until the dates are softened, adding water as needed to create a jam-like consistency. Set the filling aside and allow to cool.
7. Lay plastic wrap or wax paper on your work surface and line baking sheet with parchment paper. On plastic wrap, roll chilled dough into a roughly 9-by-12 inch rectangle. Spread cooled filling onto rectangle, leaving two shorter ends without any of the date mixture, but taking mixture to the edges on the longer sides.
8. Use plastic wrap to help you pick up a short edge of the dough and roll the dough into a log, pressing the other end of the dough that’s not covered in filling to seal the edge.
9. Place the log into the freezer for about 10 or 15 minutes to allow it to firm up and then cut the log into ½- to ⅓-inch thick discs. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until slightly browned.
Follow @thedatelady on Facebook • Instagram • Twitter • Pinterest